Thursday, September 13, 2007

Time for Sale

I know why Earl kept my number. I thought he figured I was smart or something. He wants me to buy a house.

I have no money, as you know. But Earl assures me that money is no problem. The problem is that the house is not for sale.
"We've drawn up all the papers; the bank will take it. No one's been by the place for weeks. We need a buyer. You have no record."

"I can't buy a house."

"Oh, you can if you want to. You don't have any debts, right? You need a job anyway; when you get it you qualify. This just lets you leave early. We can help each other, but we need to trust.

"I'll trust you with the down payment; I trust you to actually buy the house. I mean, if you don't do it, I can be nasty, but you can hide, and I have no legal recourse. I trust you because I observe that you understand; you can trust me or not, based on the same reasoning.

"I provide the down payment. You buy the house from me. Go ahead and move in. If I were you I'd make payments. That looks a lot better. Of course, someone does own the house. In three days or three months, the owner shows up and kicks you out.

"You're going to play dumb. After all, all you did was buy a house. Oh, someone suspects; they'll ask. But I figure you know better than to confess. I'm the one who knows. I have no interest in confessing, and, trust me, I won't be around. You default on the loan. Your credit is ruined, of course. But what can that mean to you?

"We arrange to meet somewhere, say, a cafe in Tunis. They speak French, but that won't bother you. I wouldn't travel earlier than six months, maybe eight. It looks suspicious. We meet. I pass you your share of the money, and we never see each other again.

"No hard feelings, you understand. That's just safer for each.

That could be a long wait in Tunis. On the other hand, to write even a small book, to even pretend I'm doing what can be done, I need six months relatively free. For continuity, I need the time together if I can get it.

1 Room Westside________$750-
General utilities________0-
No car.
Food__________________150-
Cell___________________50-
ISP ___________________50-

So think 1,000/month for six months = $6,000 up front. I'm easily $2500 short, maybe $3500 after whatever goes wrong that can.

I could get a job, but that doesn't leave me much time to deal with the package.

No comments: